What is a green card and how do I get one? – Connie Kaplan, PA law firms Immigration

A Green Card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, is issued by USCIS under the Immigration and Nationality Act, as proof that you have received the privilege of living and working in the United States. While America is a melting pot, it has only 13.2 million green card holders out of a population of 328.2 million – that’s only 4.02% of the country’s population.

A green card enables countless privileges. However, as a resident of the United States, it is imperative to abide by the rules.

Living in America as a resident doesn’t mean you can really be here permanently. A green card is not a guarantee that you will remain in the US as you can be deported if you are not a US resident. So know your rights and their limits.

As a foreigner, there are tons of ways to get a green card to make the United States your home. Applications are processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service or USCIS.

Applying for a green card is different for everyone and for many reasons. We have not yet seen two cases that are alike; We therefore recommend that you consult a lawyer before applying. Your case won’t be the same as your cousin 10 years ago, your boyfriend yesterday, or even your twin brother. We don’t want you to apply for a benefit that is denied or that may lead you into deportation.

Here are a few ways to apply for a green card in the US:

Family-based green card

Close relatives such as spouses (and widows and widowers), children, parents or siblings can apply for them. Distant relatives such as grandparents and cousins ​​are not qualified.

Employment-based green card

Can be obtained through employment in the United States. There are many categories like

    • First preference (EB-1) Priority workers with exceptional skills in science, art, education, business, or athletics
    • Second preference (EB-2) Members of professions with advanced qualifications or with exceptional skills
    • Third preference (EB-3) Skilled workers, skilled workers or other workers.

Diversity Immigrant Visa Program

Sometimes known as the Green Card Lottery; To apply, one must be born in an eligible country. If selected, the applicant must have completed high school education or at least 2 years of work experience in a profession.


If you’ve applied for asylum within the United States and your application has been approved, you can apply for a green card.


If you invest in a business in the United States, you may have the opportunity to get a green card.

It may take you some time to find the right way to petition your particular case to see which is best for your particular case. Call us to determine your options or book a consultation on our website.

The following two tabs change the content below.

Connie Kaplan, PA law firms provide aggressive and experienced legal representation for immigration cases with an emphasis on family immigration and investor visas.

Latest posts from law firms by Connie Kaplan, PA – Connie Kaplan (See everything)

Note: We are not the author of this content. For the Authentic and complete version,
Check its Original Source

How do we fit work and life together in a way that is sustainable through Covid and beyond? : CAREER

The Black Urbanist Monthly August 2020: Black Lives Matter – In the media and in design Urban Planning