We’re currently renovating our rental property to sell, and while we hired contractors to do most of the work, I recently went there to work on this DIY bathroom vanity and countertop makeover. I look forward to sharing the before and after with you and guiding you through what I did! (For more information on the town house, see this post, this post, and this post.)
This vanity was out of date, and since we had the floors replaced, it really collided. We gutted the other two bathrooms in the house, but to save money, I decided to just revamp this vanity instead of replacing it. Here it is before:
Products I’ve used:
(Affiliate links included. As an Amazon Associate, I earn with qualified purchases.)
I started with the countertop. The first thing I did was a good clean, and then I went over it with 150 grit sandpaper to roughen it up so that the epoxy had something to grasp. After sanding, I wiped the dust off with a damp cloth and let it dry.
Next I taped and covered everything I didn’t want to spray. I glued plastic over the sink and then put plastic towels on the floor and toilet. I also needed one in the hallway just because the overspray was pretty strong.
I use Rust-Oleum appliance epoxy For that, and although it wasn’t really intended for use on countertops, I’ve seen people use it and succeed, so I chose it. This is a temporary solution anyway, as the new homeowners are likely to want to replace this outdated vanity sometime in the future. I shook the can for a full minute as directed and then sprayed the entire counter as evenly as possible. I let it dry for an hour and then sprayed a second coat.
Next it was time to paint the vanity. First I used fine sandpaper to lightly roughen the surface, and then I wiped it down with a damp cloth. I stuck on the edges.
I used a small angle brush for the entire project, but you can also use a small foam roller for the larger parts of the vanity if you want. I started by applying a coat of Zinsser primer. I applied a very thin layer. (You can find my tutorial on painting furniture here, and that’s the technique I used for it.) You don’t have to worry about applying a perfectly even, opaque primer on it. At this point it will look pretty ugly.
After the primer had dried, I lightly sanded it with fine sandpaper and wiped it clean. Then I painted a thin layer of Behr Marquee “Elephant Skin” in satin. I followed the same technique, sanded lightly and then applied a second coat.
I chose not to paint the entire inside of the vanity, although I’ve done it before. I also decided not to use a top coat and only to let it harden. You can use a polyacrylic or water-based polyurethane if you want additional protection.
Here it is now! Such an improvement. And please note that this is next to impossible to take pictures since it is in a very narrow hallway with no daylight. Sorry for the poor quality!
Watch the YouTube video here:
Thanks for the visit!
Note: We are not the author of this content. For the Authentic and complete version,
Check its Original Source