Blog or vlog: what is your time worth and why?
If you’re just starting out online to make money or build a brand, choosing the RIGHT platform is key.
Both blogging and vlogging have their own advantages and disadvantages. Both can also help you make profits online.
So if you are not sure which to choose between blogging and vlogging, this in-depth post is for you.
In this detailed guide, you will learn the following:
- Advantages and disadvantages of blogging and vlogging
- Blog vs vlog statistics and so on
- Here’s how to create your own blog from scratch
- How to create your own vlog
- How to make money from blogging
- How to make money from YouTube vlogging
Are you ready to find out the details? Let’s begin!
Blog vs Vlog: which is a better choice in 2020?
Blogging: Everything you should know as a beginner
What is a blog?
A blog (also known as a “weblog”) is an online journal or information website that contains blog posts and pages where people share their views on various topics.
Blogs are usually run by an individual or a small team of people to build a brand, increase traffic and increase online sales. Some blogs are also created just for fun, where people share their thoughts about random things.
The most popular blogging platform, Blogger, was launched in 1999 and was later taken over by Google in 2003. In the same year, i.e. H. 2003, WordPress was also introduced and is now the world’s leading CMS (Content Management System).
Here are some interesting blogging stats that come from various trusted online sources like HubSpot, Statista, WordPress, etc.
- WordPress is the leading CMS in the world and 36% of the web is based on WordPress.
- Sites that also have a blog have 434% more indexed pages, mostly due to blog posts.
- Companies that blog get 97% more links to their websites.
- 77% of internet users read blog posts regularly.
Advantages and disadvantages of blogging
- If you are on a self-hosted platform like WordPress, you have 100% control over your blog (and no one can take your blog or its content from you!)
- You can attract high quality visitors from search engines if you choose the right keywords
- You can literally sell almost anything from a blog or website
- Having your own blog with a custom domain looks professional (and you can use your website in business cards, emails, and anywhere).
- You can create a blog in any niche or topic under the sun (unlike vlogging, where you have to create certain topics to be successful).
- Many ways to make money from blogging (from affiliate marketing to offering blog services to selling your own products)
- A blog can help you establish yourself as an authority in your industry
- It takes a lot of time to get traffic to a new blog (especially from search engines).
- You need to invest both time and money in various things like content, hosting, SEO, etc. to create a blog in the long run where you can make money
How do I create a professional blog from scratch?
Quick note: If you don’t have a budget or want to test the water, you can also use free blogging platforms like Blogger, Typepad, etc. to create a blog for free.
If you plan to start a new blog, we strongly recommend the WordPress.org platform, as it allows you to create a self-hosted WordPress blog in which you have full control (unlike free blogging platforms).
WordPress is the leading CMS in the world and there is 61% market share on the CMS market.
It also offers you many plugins and themes that you can use to easily create your website from scratch. So if you’re curious about how to start a WordPress blog, here’s a simple step-by-step guide.
Step 1: Get a domain of your choice. You need a domain name and web hosting to create a WordPress site. If you’re just getting started, choose Bluehost. You will also receive a free domain with every new registration!
Bluehost is a widely used hosting platform officially recommended by WordPress itself and used by more than 2 million websites worldwide.
Step 2: Once you’re on the Bluehost site, simply choose your hosting plan based on your budget. We recommend the Choice Plus option (costs $ 5.45 / month) and you can host unlimited websites under one account.
Step 3: In this step, you create a new domain (domain registration is free for the first year). If you already have a domain, you can also enter it. Or you can skip this step and create a domain later.
Step 4: This is the last step in which you need to create an account. You can also use your Gmail account to quickly create a Bluehost account. Then check the details of your hosting plan and finish the payment.
You will receive a welcome email from Bluehost, in which you can install WordPress in the root directory of your website or in a subdirectory via the marketplace or “My websites”.
Note: If after purchasing your Bluehost hosting account through our partner link you need help installing WordPress, you can send us an email at [email protected] We’re here to help. Simply forward the welcome email receipt to us so we know that you bought Bluehost through our links!
How can you make money from blogging?
One of the best things about blogging is that it offers many ways to make money. From our personal experience, we have found that conversions from blogging are much better than those from vlogging (video blogging).
This may be because people who read blogs usually take action, such as: For example, sign up for your email courses, buy partner products through your links, share your blog posts, etc.
Enough said! Now let’s talk about some of the better ways to make money blogging in 2020 and beyond.
Promote affiliate products: With affiliate marketing, you can make money online by promoting others’ products. If you want to generate residual income from blogging, affiliate marketing is the best place to start.
Here are some powerful ways to generate more sales of affiliate products through blogging.
- Choose your partner products carefully because you don’t want to promote a partner product just because you get higher commissions. Your partner products should help your target group. So find the needs of your target group and select your products accordingly. You can use platforms like Amazon Associates, CJ, ClickBank, eBay, etc. to find hundreds of relevant partner products in your niche.
- Choose products that offer lifelong payouts (also known as recurring affiliate programs). A good example is the SEMrush Affiliate Program, which pays you a recurring 40% commission for every successful sale generated through your affiliate links.
- Be transparent. Successful affiliate marketing is about building trust. Make sure you use social records and income reports whenever you can. Also post your affiliate links so your blog audience appreciates your honesty and is likely to buy through your affiliate links.
If you’re looking for more tips on increasing your affiliate income, read this post.
Sell your own digital products: If you are looking for a passive source of income without being dependent on affiliate marketing, you can sell your own products.
You can sell everything from online courses to e-books to software tools. Just start small and grow your audience to make things bigger. We recently started selling our own digital products, and we launched our first premium keyword research eBook.
The book covers almost everything about finding better keywords and is extremely useful for beginners. The book sale was also great and gave us enough inspiration to develop more new products in the coming months.
Quotation service: If you want to make money from blogging very quickly, offer services from your blog. What kind of services can you offer?
It depends on your skills, expertise and knowledge. You can offer a wide range of services including;
- Blog mentoring (or blog advice)
- WordPress installation services (easy to learn and helpful for beginners)
- SEO services (such as keyword research, site audits, link building, etc.)
- Web design services
- Freelance writing services (where you can help others write content)
- And the list goes on
You can also create a portfolio site where you can create highly relevant content about the services you offer on your blog. For example, if you plan to promote web design services, you can create exclusive blog posts around website design to attract high-paying customers.
Want to learn more about monetizing your blog? Read our in-depth guide on how to make money blogging and find every detail to monetize your blog.
Top 3 key blogging tools for beginners
If you want to blog successfully, you need to have access to the right tools. While there are a lot of blogging tools out there, here are 3 of the most important tools you need to blog successfully.
To create a blog to make money, you need more traffic, especially from search engines. If you can’t find better keywords, analyze your competitors, and do regular site audits, it’s extremely difficult to increase your search engine traffic.
If you’re just getting started, you need a CORRECT SEO tool to do everything from keyword research to backlink analysis. This is where an all-in-one SEO tool like SEMrush comes in.
SEMrush is the only SEO tool we’ve used in the past 4 years, and it’s also the most popular tool used by over 5 million people worldwide.
Here are some of the advantages of this tool.
- Organic research
- Advertising research
- Backlinks analysis
- Keyword research
- Social media monitoring
- Trademark monitoring
- Site audits
- Traffic analysis and the list goes on
You can read our detailed SEMrush review. If you are interested, you can use the link below to purchase a SEMrush Pro account for the next 30 days free of charge.
2nd rank math
Rank Math is an amazing FREE WordPress SEO plugin that allows you to easily optimize your content for search engines and outperform your competitors.
The best thing about this plugin is that it allows you to optimize your blog posts for up to 5 keywords (however, you can optimize for unlimited keywords with a simple code!).
We used the Yoast SEO plugin for several years to optimize and only switched to this fantastic plugin a few months ago. In addition, this plugin automatically starts analyzing your website with a function called “SEO analysis”. Once the analysis is complete, an SEO score (out of 100) will be displayed.
Here are some of the incredible features of this SEO plugin.
- Provides XML sitemaps
- Offers all types of redirects
- Offers rich snippets
- Optimize for multiple keywords
- The LSI keyword tool is integrated in the plugin
- Automated image SEO
- You can also track your keyword rankings and the list will continue
You can find more information about this fantastic SEO plugin in our in-depth review of the Rank Math SEO plugin.
A picture is worth a thousand words. If you want to draw your audience’s attention, you have to make your content visually appealing. Here is a tool like Canva.
You don’t have to be a graphic designer to create selected images for your blog posts because Canva has great features. Canva is an excellent graphic design tool because it lets you create selected images for your blog posts, logos, social media covers and what not?
Here is a list of great things you can do with Canva.
- Create selected images for blog posts
- Design logos for your blog
- Create graphics for social media
- Create infographics
- Design newsletter and the list goes on
Vlogging: Everything you should know as a beginner
What is a vlog?
A vlog is (also known as a video blog) that contains video content. Vlog entries are a combination of videos, text and metadata such as titles and meta descriptions.
Vlogging’s popularity was boosted in 2005 by YouTube, the world’s leading video sharing platform, and founded in the same year.
Vlogging is growing rapidly. Here are some vlogging stats you should know if you want to get into the vlogging world.
- Video content is 50 times more likely to result in organic search traffic than simple text.
- 63% of people are more likely to buy a product if they have seen it in a video.
- 86% of the vlog content comes from YouTube creators (so if you plan to create a vlog, visit YouTube).
- According to HubSpot, 54% of consumers want to see more video content from a brand or company that supports them.
Advantages and disadvantages of vlogging
Here is a list of the pros and cons of a vlog.
- If you use a platform like YouTube, you can create a vlog for free (all you need is a free Gmail account.)
- You can view your YouTube videos from day one (if you use compelling thumbnails, titles, and descriptions).
- People spend a lot more time watching videos (unlike blogs, where most people usually scroll through content).
- Vlogging can be a lot of fun for most people (most people find it much more fun to create vlogs than blog posts).
- YouTube vlogging has the potential to build a MASSIVE online follow-up (there are thousands of YouTube channels that grew from zero to million subscribers in a year).
- There are many ways to make money with vlogs, from sponsorship to selling partner products, selling your own goods, YouTube ads and so on
- Vlogs don’t work in all niches
- Sometimes you have to stand in front of the camera (so it can be extremely difficult to register, especially if you are introverted or want to build an anonymous brand).
- Vlogging can be time consuming (each video takes hours to create from edit to edit)
How do I start a vlog from scratch?
The best thing about vlogging (or video blogging) is that it’s completely free.
Yes, all you need to start a vlog is to create a YouTube channel with your Gmail account.
If you don’t already have a Gmail account, you should create one that is completely free. Here is the link to sign up for Gmail.
Here is a step-by-step guide to starting a vlog on YouTube.
Step 1: To create your YouTube vlogging channel: Click on this link. Alternatively, you can use your Gmail credentials to log in to your YouTube channel and click “Settings”.
It looks like this:
Step 2: As soon as you click on “Settings”, you will be redirected to the YouTube channel page where “Add or manage channels” is displayed.
Click to continue to the next step.
Step 3: Now click “Create New Channel” to continue. You need to create a brand account.
It can be any name and doesn’t have to be the same name that you used to create your Google account. It looks like this:
A quick tip: We strongly recommend that you create a brand account that reflects your blog, website, app, or online business.
Step 4: Once you click the “Create” button, you may be asked to confirm the account via SMS or voice call. In this case, simply enter the code that you will receive from the option you have chosen.
Once you’ve checked your brand account, you’re done. You have successfully created your vlog on YouTube and will be redirected to the dashboard for your channel.
How do I make money with vlogging?
Similar to blogging, there are many ways to make money with vlogging. Yes, you can use AdSense on your YouTube channel to make money. However, we do not believe that this is the only way to monetize your channel. So let’s just talk about the BEST ways to monetize your video content.
Sponsorships or brand collaborations: One of the most powerful ways to monetize your YouTube channel is by working with other brands. However, you need to have a larger audience (more than 100,000 subscribers) to do good business with other brands.
Aside from brand collaborations, you can also try sponsorships where most small channels get free products in return for advertising.
If you have more than 100,000 subscribers, you can also easily get paid sponsorships where sponsors pay you directly for promoting their products in your videos by mentioning or rating their products.
You can also use the following platforms to find YouTube sponsorships and make money.
- Famebit (You must have at least 5000 subscribers to join the platform.)
- grapevine (You need at least 10,000 subscribers to join the platform.)
Earn money with Super Chat: Super Chat is an interesting concept that YouTube launched in 2017 to help creators make money when they go live. This feature allows viewers to pay to pin a comment on live streams.
It looks like this:
As you can see above, your YouTube video viewers can use the Superchat feature to pay some money to pin a color-coded chat message.
Even if the chat continues and most messages are no longer visible, the pinned superchat remains visible for a limited time (depending on how much your viewers are paying you).
This ratio varies depending on the currency used. For US dollars, however, the minimum is a purchase price of $ 5 for a 1-minute message and the maximum is a purchase price of $ 500 for a 5-hour message.
Here is the Super Chat price list available for the US that can give you an impression.
In addition, developers on YouTube can charge a monthly fee to access original content through “Channel memberships“. Yes, there are countless ways to monetize your video content if you have enough subscribers.
Sale of partner or information products: Last but not least, you can advertise relevant partner products in your niche. You can create video tutorials or video reviews of the products you want. You can also sell information products such as eBooks, membership subscriptions, etc.
The key to earning thousands of dollars with YouTube vlogging is this: Increase your audience (at least 100,000 subscribers), create high quality videos regularly and be consistent.
Top 3 of the most important vlogging tools for beginners
Vlogging is not that easy. If you want to improve vlogging, here are three of the most important vlogging tools you’ll need in 2020.
Bandicam is extremely user-friendly software that allows you to effortlessly take a screen capture of your screen. So if you want to make videos by recording your screen, you need a tool like Bandicam. It is also free to use.
Here is the list of features you get with Bandicam.
- You can select the area of the screen you want to record and start recording immediately
- You can add a webcam video of yourself to the video you are recording
- You can also add your own logo to the videos
- The ability to add a mouse click effect and animation while recording and the list continues
2. A good microphone
Regardless of whether you take screen shots or record videos by showing your face, you need a good microphone to create videos.
If you’re just getting started, you can even use your smartphone headphones to record your videos (or for voice-overs). However, if you want to expand your YouTube channel faster, you need a high quality microphone.
Which one should you choose? Well, it mainly depends on your budget. That said, here are some recommendations for you.
- Blue Yeti USB
- RØDE NT-USB
- Shure SM7B
- Audio-Technica AT2035
Almost every YouTube creator needs editing software. After all, you can’t upload the RAW video to YouTube without editing, can you?
This is where user-friendly video editing software such as Filmora comes into play, which offers an intuitive user interface and countless video effects that you can use to edit your videos quickly.
It also offers a free version that is sufficient for most beginners.
Here are some of the features of using Filmora.
- You can do everything from rotating, merging, cropping, splitting, cropping, and mirroring videos
- You can add filters, music and everything to make your video editing awesome
Blogging vs Vlogging Money FAQs
Here are some interesting questions about blogging and vlogging that you may find useful.
What is a vlog?
A vlog is considered a video blog or video log that mainly contains a video form of content. Each vlog often contains a video with supporting text and other metadata (such as titles, descriptions, tags, etc.).
Which is better: blog or YouTube?
So what which is better to blog or vlogging? In terms of traffic, YouTube vlogging is better because you use the existing incoming traffic when uploading content to YouTube. But when it comes to a blog, you have to build your audience from scratch. In addition, new blogs are not loved by search engines like Google!
However, blogs seem like magic when it comes to monetization and conversions. A blog usually attracts highly qualified visitors and you can achieve higher conversions compared to a YouTube channel.
What is vlogging?
Vlogging simply means video blogging. This means that vlogging includes video content. Vlogging includes everything from video reviews to travel videos to cooking videos and so on.
What are the different types of vlogs?
There is a wide selection of vlogs, from educational vlogs to gaming vlogs, strings, travel vlogs and so on. Here is an illustration of some of the most popular types of vlogs.
As you can see above, educational vlogs are the most popular. So if you want to create a vlog for popularity, try creating a vlog that teaches something.
How do I create a vlog?
The best way to create a vlog is to start a YouTube channel. All you need is a Gmail account and You can visit this link to create your own channel on YouTube within minutes.
Read: Blogger vs WordPress: which is the better choice for blog creation?
Final thoughts on blog vs vlog: which one should you choose?
Blogging or Vlogging – both are excellent ways to produce content online. So should you choose one or both of them? Well, it depends on your needs.
If you are looking for popularity you should definitely start a vlog. However, if you want to generate a passive income online, improve your writing skills and generate high quality traffic, you should start a blog.
If you already have a blog, you can create a YouTube channel to make your brand accessible to a new audience. If you already have a vlog, you can also start your own blog to diversify both your traffic and your sources of income.
So which one will you choose: blogging or vlogging? Let us know what you think in the comments.
Note: We are not the author of this content. For the Authentic and complete version,
Check its Original Source