Try this recipe for Spaghetti Aglio e Olio once and you will do it again and again. It uses simple ingredients, it boils in 20 minutes and it’s totally delicious.
Spaghetti aglio e olio translates to “spaghetti with garlic and oil”. The traditional dish contains little more than these ingredients. It can be finished with a sprinkling of parsley or a sprinkling of flakes of pepper, but these are also optional. In its simplest form, this classic Italian pasta contains spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
But if you’ve ever tried it, you know that spaghetti aglio e olio is far more than the sum of its parts. The garlic gives the oil a rich, nutty aroma, and salty, starchy pasta cooking water turns it into a deeply aromatic sauce. Add perfect al dente pasta to the mix and it’s absolute heaven.
Spaghetti aglio e olio has been my first order in Italian restaurants for years, but it has recently become one of my favorite dishes at home. It comes together in just 20 minutes, uses a handful of ingredients for the pantry, and is simply delicious. If you have pasta, garlic, and olive oil in your kitchen, try it tonight! If you’re something like me, make it the next evening and the next. 🙂 Yes, it’s that good.
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio recipe ingredients
Of course, my recipe for spaghetti Aglio E Olio contains a few fresh twists. I start with these traditional ingredients:
- Spaghetti: If you don’t have spaghetti on hand, use the pasta you have. I recommend choosing a long pasta like fettuccine, linguine or bucatini, but if your kitchen uses short cut pasta, it will still be delicious.
- Olive oil: Use the best you have.
- Garlic: The main ingredient! Don’t skimp on it – it’s important to refine the pasta with a rich, nutty taste.
- Red pepper flakes: For heat! If you are sensitive to spices, you can skip them or start with just 1/4 teaspoon. If you want your pasta to be more fun, add up to 1/2 teaspoon.
- Parsley: Sprinkle it over the pasta for a nice fresh finish.
Then I add these unconventional (but delicious!) Ingredients:
- Lemon: It may not be entirely authentic, but if you ask me, a little lemon never hurts. I use both lemon juice and lemon peel to fill these pasta with a light taste.
- Kale: If you ask me, pasta + greens are a match made in heaven. If you want, you can skip the kale or use other greens like spinach or chard if you don’t have kale on hand.
- Parmesan cheese: Aglio e olio purists will tell you never to serve it with cheese, but I think a shower with freshly grated parmesan or vegan parmesan is a welcome touch. Its nutty taste goes perfectly with the hearty garlic.
(See the full dimensions at the end of this post!)
How to make spaghetti aglio e olio
This simple pasta comes together in just 20 minutes! Follow these steps to do it (+ find the full recipe below!):
- First cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta al dente. Reserve some starchy pasta water before you drain it!
- Next, roast the garlic and pepper flakes. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic slices and pepper flakes. Cook until the garlic smells and slightly browned around the edges.
- Then add the kale. Throw it with the garlic oil and cook until it wilts.
- Finally stir in the pasta, together with the lemon juice and the peel and a splash of the reserved pasta water. Mix and add more pasta water as needed to get a light sauce. Season with salt and pepper. That’s it!
Garnish the pasta aglio e olio with parsley and parmesan as you like. Enjoy it alone or serve it with a salad like my Caesar salad, Caprese salad or Citrus salad. It would also be delicious with toasted broccoli or cauliflower and homemade focaccia or non-kneaded bread to soak up oil residues. Buon appetito!
Other favorite pasta recipes
If you love this recipe for Spaghetti Aglio E Olio, next try one of these simple pasta recipes:
Then you will find 25 more favorite noodles here!
Spaghetti aglio e olio
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: fifteen min
Total time: 20th min
This pasta aglio e olio recipe is the ultimate weekday dinner! It comes together in 20 minutes, it uses simple ingredients and it’s absolutely delicious.
- 12th Ounces spaghetti
- ½ to 1 Cup Pasta water
- ¼ Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 4th Garlic cloves, cut thin
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large pile of lacinato kale, stalked and chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea-salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- ⅓ Cup chopped parsley
- Parmesan or vegan parmesan, For serving
Prepare the pasta according to the instructions in the package in a saucepan with boiling salted water al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining the pasta.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and paprika flakes. Stir and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the garlic is lightly browned around the edges. Add the kale, salt and some peppercorns and cook them with tongs until the kale is wilted, up to 1 minute.
Add the spaghetti and toss them together. Add ½ cup of pasta water, lemon juice, lemon zest and toss. If the pasta seems too dry, add the remaining ½ cup of pasta water to get a light sauce.
Season to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve with parmesan or vegan parmesan.
Note: We are not the author of this content. For the Authentic and complete version,
Check its Original Source