Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States. The city is located in the District of Columbia (D.C.), a federal district that does not belong to any state. The capital lies between Virginia and Maryland on the banks of the Potomac River. It is famous for government monuments and buildings, including the White House. The city is also famous for its free museums and historical sites.
PIN for later reference
Find out more about Washington D.C.
Every city has some fun facts, and Washington D.C. also fun facts. To name just a few:
- Two American Presidents (Herbert Hoover and John Quincy) had alligators as pets in the White House.
- In the Capitol there are marble bathtubs that were installed in 1859.
- There is a crypt for George Washington under the Capitol.
- The city is home to something unique International Spy Museum.
- Washington D.C. gets more rain (2 inches on average) than Seattle.
- John Adams was the first president to live in the White House.
- The city is named after Christopher Columbus.
- The Capitol was not designed by an American.
- The White House theater was originally a cloakroom.
Best travel time
The best time to visit Washington DC is between September and November and in between March and May.
There are three airports All three airports are operated by the providers American Airlines and United Airlines. The three airports are:
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Baltimore Thurgood Marshall International Airport
Amtak is the national train operator in the United States. There are frequent trains to and from Washington DC, as frequent as 85 trains a day.
For cheaper tariffs, book the tickets in advance with Amtak Website.
To and from the airport
The details and the best way of transportation to and from the airports can be found in detail on Washington DC Tourism Website.
The city has 4 modes of transport:
- metro – The subways are easy to use and have around 91 stations in the city. SmarTrip Map is the best way to travel by metro. It is a reusable card that can be charged and used to enter and use the subway.
- bus – You can use the buses to reach places to which there are no subways. The bus trips can be carried out either with the SmarTrip card or in cash.
- taxi – The most expensive means of transportation is renting a taxi. Uber taxis operate in the city and can be booked via the Uber app.
- bicycle – You can also rent a bike and drive around town. The bikes can be rented on Capital Bike share Website.
You can find detailed and up-to-date information on public transport at Washingtonian Website.
Things to do in Washington D.C.
I only had a few days in Washington DC so I couldn’t do too many things while I was in this beautiful city. I want to go back to explore this city and spend more time.
The recommended time in Washington DC is about 3 to 4 days to conveniently cover all of the tourist attractions.
One of the things I always wanted to do was see the iconic Lincoln Memorial. I had only seen the monument in films.
The Lincoln memorial was built in honor of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States. It was built in 1868 and is a Greek revival. The statue is carved from white marble in Georgia and is approximately 5.8 meters high.
A cool fact about the Lincoln Memorial is that Lincoln’s Gettysburg address is engraved on the north wall of the monument. And there is a mural of an angel granting freedom to a slave who is on display.
The memorial was designed by Robert Mills in memory of George Washington. With a height of 169 meters, this tourist attraction is a must. The monument embodies respect and gratitude towards the founding father and showsLike the man, the monument is in the shadow of nobody.“
- address: 2, 15th St NW, Washington DC, 20024
A cool fact about the Washington Monument is that no other building can be taller than the monument in the city. And the original elevator took 20 minutes to go up.
The White House
Who doesn’t want to see where the most powerful person in the world stays? The White House is the official residence of the President of the United States. The White House, designed by architect James Hoban, was built in the 18th century Palladian style. Aquia Creek sandstone was used. The name White House was recorded in 1811.
A cool fact about the White House is that the building has 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, and 6 levels. There are also 412 doors, 147 windows and 3 elevators.
Note: My guide told me strictly not to point anything at the White House, not even an umbrella.
- There are so many other things to do in Washington DC, read Tripadvisor Details of other activities.
- If you’re interested in history, don’t forget to visit World War II websites. For more information, see WWII sites in Washington DC.
Security for female solo travelers
In short, the The nation’s capital is safe and friendly for female solo travelers. I had no problems when I was in Washington DC and I really enjoyed my stay in the city. However, like in any other city, be careful when traveling alone and trust your instincts.
Note: Avoid the dangerous parts of the city.
I really enjoyed traveling in Washington DC. Although I prefer to travel outside of cities and enjoy the countryside more, this city was one of the reasons I loved traveling in the United States. I really liked interacting with the locals because they were very kind and friendly. The city was clean and organized. I definitely recommend visiting this capital while traveling in the United States.
PIN for later reference
Note: We are not the author of this content. For the Authentic and complete version,
Check its Original Source