Before you go! Share this content on any social media platform
Orchids have become popular in our homes relatively recently, but they have already firmly won decent places among other indoor plants. The exquisite beauty of exotic forests from tropical forests attracts both amateur and professional flower growers.
In nature, thousands of species, while a very small part has adapted to the ground, since basically these plants prefer to cling to the roots of tree trunks (epiphytes) and do without soil on stony ledges (lithophytes). Moisture such plants absorb from the environment. Feeds from wet bark and moss. The roots of the plant are thick, long, and have a spongy top layer, which ensures the absorption of moisture and nutrients. Therefore, when purchasing phalaenopsis home, keep in mind that the orchid pot will differ from other habitual flower pots in size, shape and filling (substrate). Orchid pots are filled mainly with specially treated pine bark and moss. Such a substrate does not retain too much water, but being saturated with moisture, gradually gives it to the plant.
A special approach to these heat-loving plants is due to their "lifestyle" in nature and certain needs for growth and long abundant flowering. Exotic beauties are grown most often on window sills, taking into account the temperature conditions, lighting and selecting the right capacity. Hanging pots for orchids is also an option, subject to all other requirements.
Professionals know almost everything about these plants, and beginner lovers have one of the first problems: how to choose a pot for orchids. In specialized stores, the buyer will be offered a variety of pots and pots. The difference will be in the material from which they are made, size, price, manufacturer. A large role in the selection is played by the shape, material and size of the pot. It is important that at the bottom and bottom there are drainage holes or the ability to make them yourself. For the convenience of monitoring the state of the root system, the capacity is better to choose transparent.
Orchid pots can be from different materials, but all of them must provide:
· Good drainage, since epiphytes and lithophytes, which, among other things, include phalaenopsis, do not tolerate an excess of moisture and may die when overwetted;
· Safety when removing plants from the pot. The orchid has a voluminous root system, rhizomes are long and juicy. When careless handling can easily damage them, which will lead to deterioration of the plant and even death;
· Active air circulation for the roots and the substrate in the pot. In the absence of aeration, the roots may rot and the plant will die;
· The temperature regime that is comfortable for an orchid is different and depends on the species. Heat-loving prefer not less than 18 degrees, but not higher than 32. For lovers of average temperatures 18-22, and a night maximum from +12 to +15 degrees;
So, the basic needs of all types of orchids and phalaenopsis, including, can be called light (without direct sunlight), air (pure, moist, without dust), heat, moderately moist substrate and the right vessel. Bright sunshine can leave burns on tender leaves and lead to leaf dehydration and plant death.
The health of the plant and the ability for luxurious flowering, for the sake of which they buy orchids, depends on the right pot. The correct pot is a comfortable pot for a plant. Plastic, ceramic, clay, glass containers, wicker baskets, transparent and opaque, with automatic watering and an additional function of phyto-lighting, a classic form and beautiful designer, large and small, with and without drainage holes, are on sale. The size of the pot is determined based on the size of the roots. Very free pot orchid is not needed. When the roots begin to actively go beyond the limits of capacity, phalaenopsis can be transplanted, but a new pot is chosen only 1 cm more than the previous one. Carefully inspect the bottom. The correct bottom has many drainage holes, if they are not enough, then you can do them yourself.
Increasingly, various accessories and newfangled things for garden and indoor plants appear on the market. Manufacturers of flower pots are not spared and orchids. In a specialty store you can buy a pot with auto-irrigation function. Some flower growers use homemade inventions to automate the irrigation of some orchid species. Most often in the course of going plastic bottles, incised in a certain way. Such devices are easy to use, reduce the time to care for flowers. Simple settings are a definite advantage. You can safely go on vacation or a business trip and leave the flowers at auto-irrigation. Pots with additional phyto-lighting for orchids appeared on sale.
The most common and popular phalaenopsis pot is considered to be plastic, transparent, in the form of an expanding glass. These pots are of two types – with drainage holes and without them. Especially it is preferred by novice flower growers. Its advantage is obvious:
· Such capacity is easy to use, if necessary, you can easily increase the number of drainage holes in the bottom;
· In such a pot, the substrate dries out slowly and creates a light greenhouse effect, salt does not accumulate after watering and feeding;
· Plastic pots without problems maintain the optimum stable temperature of the substrate and the roots, do not allow sudden temperature differences;
· Due to the transparency of the material, it is possible to control the condition of the roots, the soil moisture;
· Light penetrates through the transparent walls of such a pot, which is also important, since the roots of most orchids are involved in photosynthesis, thus obtaining what is necessary for growth and development. Only a few varieties of this plant feel good in an opaque container, the rest of the vital need for constant access of light to the root system;
· Reasonable price, bright multi-colored plastic;
· And one more plus in favor of plastic. If the roots have sprouted through drainage holes, which happens quite often, the bottom can be cut without harming the plant;
There is still one minus. Plastic is a very light and unstable material, which can lead to the tilting of the orchid pot with the plant. When choosing pay attention to the bottom, wider will provide better stability.
The plant from the store often requires transplanting to a permanent container. Be sure to have drainage holes! Without them, the pot can not be used.
Such a pot for orchids has its pros and cons:
· Natural breathable, environmentally friendly material, the porosity of natural kaolin provides breathability, and the moisture is evenly distributed and does not allow the roots to dry out. It is important not to put such pots near heating devices, in this case they quickly evaporate moisture, which damages the plant;
· Most often, a little rough clay is beautifully combined with a beautiful and refined phalaenopsis, almost natural tandem;
· Clay keeps the temperature for a long time, so it is better to choose light colors so that the roots do not overheat in summer;
· The porosity of natural clay can cause the flower roots to grow into the walls of their own pot. To avoid this, choose a pot for orchids with a glazed inner surface;
· It is not easy to pick up an earthen pot; it is worth remembering that not all types of orchids take root well without access of light to the root system;
· Bowls, pots and pots made of clay are heavier than plastic and much more stable;
· For the price significantly more expensive than plastic;
Ceramics is also clay (or clay), only now with admixture of mineral additives and roasting under the influence of high temperatures. Can serve as an alternative to pure clay. Price category of ceramic pots – above average. The price depends on the design, the quality of coloring and firing.
Ceramic pots for orchids have almost the same properties as clay ones. They differ only in a more diverse design, it is worth considering if you want to harmoniously fit this art object into your living space.
The structure of the ceramic pot is more porous than clay, and is better suited to ensure the air exchange to the roots of the flower, but at the same time the threat of growth of the roots to the inner surface remains. This can lead to trauma to the plant during transplantation, which leads to diseases and even death of the orchid. When the moisture evaporates through the pores, salts remain on the walls, which is also very harmful to the plant. Salts reduce porosity over time and destroy the vessel.
When choosing a suitable pot, consider not only the design and beauty, but also the benefits and safety for phalaenopsis. In an earthenware and ceramic vessel, it is impossible to make additional holes on our own to drain excess water and better air access. In addition, ceramics and clay make it impossible to monitor the state of the roots and substrate.
Today, only professionals will be able to maintain a comfortable state of the plant in a vessel made of clay or ceramics. And most likely, in such a vessel, a novice grower, orchid will be sick.
Recently, manufacturers began to take into account the characteristics of orchids and produce pots and pots with special holes and glaze the inner surface of the pots. Such containers are much better suited for growing Phalaenopsis at home.
A glass vessel is also quite a controversial option for planting orchids. It looks stylish, it can be cheap and very expensive, it all depends on the manufacturer. The pros are much smaller than the minuses.
On the one hand, the roots are clearly visible, they receive a lot of light, they do not adhere to the walls, but the drainage, filtration and aeration of the roots are disturbed. Only very experienced growers will be able to prepare the right substrate and provide high-quality drainage to the roots in such capacity. This will help ensure air circulation and prevent rotting of the root system, the formation of condensate on the inner surface of the pot, the growth of algae on the walls and roots and, as a result, the disease of the plant. Glass will help out only in case of low humidity in the room, it will help to keep this humidity.
On the other hand, in a pot it is necessary to change the soil substrate up to three times a year, whereas in a plastic one once a year and even less often. Organize enhanced drainage. Finding the right size is also more difficult. Phalaenopsis loves moderate cramping, so it is very difficult to pick up a glass vessel of the desired volume. Permanent control of watering.
Observing all the rules, it is permissible to grow orchids in glass, but you can pick up a beautiful glass planter to decorate a simple plastic pot. It will be a good compromise version of beauty and comfort for the plant.
It is quite original to replace special orchid pots with wicker baskets, pots. This is an excellent alternative in many respects suitable mainly for epiphytes.
Make them from various natural and artificial materials. Bamboo, rods, wood (in combination with plastic elements), wire, twigs, coconut, bark are used.
Natural materials make it possible to bring the conditions of orchid maintenance to the natural ones as close as possible:
· Protection against overheating and overcooling;
· Maximum air exchange of the root system;
· Elimination of excess moisture (excellent drainage);
· When using bamboo, phalaenopsis roots do not grow to capacity, since the bamboo surface is absolutely smooth, not porous;
· Environmental friendliness;
· Not traumatic for plants and humans;
· Very beautiful and aesthetic appearance of the vessel;
· Suitable for harmonious design of any interior;
· The ability to buy a ready-made pot or make it yourself from scrap materials, taking into account the size of the flower and your own taste;
When planting an orchid in a wicker basket, it is necessary to take into account that it will be necessary to water more often, since in such a container the substrate dries out faster. It is better to do it by immersion. Basically wicker baskets are suitable for hybrid species. If the gaps between the twigs are noticeable, before planting the plant, close them with larger moss or bark particles to avoid washing out and spilling the substrate through the gaps. For better soil retention, a drainage fabric, such as natural burlap, is laid out on the bottom of the basket. It will not let the water stagnate and will perfectly hold the substrate.
If living space allows, orchids can be planted in hanging tanks. Peduncles can hang beautifully down from flowerpots, rather than crowded on the windowsill. In this embodiment, the plant looks like in nature, more natural and very beautiful. Here, too, it is important to comply with the condition for ensuring air exchange, lighting and temperature control. Orchid does not like direct sunlight and drafts. A flower pot with a plant is placed in pots, taking into account the distance between the walls of 1-2 cm.
The wicker basket has a minus:
· Failure if it is made of natural materials;
The best location hanging pots near the window.
What size should be a pot for orchids
If you have dealt with the material of the orchid landing tank, the next important point is the size of the pot.
· Orchid pot should not be small, but not too free, as this plant likes to be cramped, but the roots should all be placed in a pot and not hang out;
· Usually the height of the pot is approximately equal to its diameter. If the plant is high and the pot is not stable, collapses or swings, then it is better to put it in a cache-pot;
· The volume of the pot is the volume of the roots with a lump of substrate. This will be enough to comfort the plant and stimulate growth;
· If you have to transplant a plant for some reason, then you do not need to take a pot “for growth” with a large supply of volume, the new “house” should be only slightly wider, literally 1-1.5 cm;
· Strictly not suitable for the orchid pot with a neck, which is already the base. This form is very inconvenient, especially when transplanting. Pulling out the root system is difficult, but it is easy to break, damage;
· It is permissible to choose one container for planting several plants at once, but taking into account the total size of the roots and a sufficient volume of the substrate;
Error when choosing the right size of the container for orchids is bad for flowering.
Special attention is required and mini phalaenopsis. This species will take root in a glass pot, he loves high humidity and crampedness. For mini orchids, standard pots are too large, so you have to search well on the shelves of the store for a suitable size and quality container. Any pots will be too large for this species. You can also choose one pot for planting several mini phalaenopsis. Such an orchid should grow in a transparent container, its roots are also involved in photosynthesis.
With all the variety of flower pots on the shelves of shops, you always want something special, individual and unique. If you apply creativity and imagination, it is quite possible to create a pot for an orchid with your own hands. The main thing to consider the needs of the plant. This usually does not require much time and expensive materials. More often used improvised means.
If you master the technique of weaving baskets, you can perform a basket, pot or pots of bark, twigs or even bamboo. In the absence of weaving skills, it is quite possible to decorate the base (a pot or plastic container purchased from a store) to your liking. Here will fit natural and artificial materials. Pick up the size and material of the pot, and the rest will be done by fantasy. For the decor fit literally everything. Multi-colored buttons, shells, beads, foil, colored ribbons, colored corrugated paper, bows, colored pebbles and glass stalks, twigs, bark, ornamental figurines and much more! All elements are perfectly attached to the plastic and ceramics with super glue. Clay pots with a uniform surface are painted with oil or acrylic paints. Luxuriously painted in the style of the mandala. The right approach to work will give an excellent result. Vases and flower pots with a personal design will delight with originality and style. You can do it yourself and hanging pots for orchids or decorate the finished ones with your own decor.
For large phalaenopsis, a round food container made of soft plastic, suitable size. Decorate it to your taste, and in a large rectangular many small orchids of different colors or monochrome will look great.
Do not forget about the drainage holes in the bottom of the container. They can be made with a drill or with a hot end of a thick wire. The main thing is to follow the safety rules.
For proper distribution of the roots, place a plastic champagne cap on the bottom of the pot. Это улучшит воздухообмен и не позволит корням плотно прилегать ко дну, так как это может привести к загниванию корневой системы.
Новичков удивляет, почему орхидеи сажают чаще всего в сосновую кору с добавлением мха. Дело в том, что это сочетание компонентов субстрата максимально приближено к природным условиям жизни орхидей. Стволы деревьев, покрытые мхом «родной дом» для фаленопсисов. А вот нужны ли в горшке для орхидей камушки керамзита? Лучше добавить их на дно горшка для качественного дренажа.
Орхидея считается самым капризным домашним растением, но за качественный уход она способна наградить роскошным цветением.
Не забудьте вовремя пересаживать, подкармливать и менять грунт орхидеям для обеспечения роста и качественного цветения растений.
Before you go! Share this content on any social media platform